The Top 5 Ways You Know You’re Living An Authentic Life
photo credit- daniellelaporte.com
First And Foremost … There Are Way More Than 5!!
Decades go by as we build a life. We do all the “usual stuff”, continue with some form of higher learning, find our “perfect life partner”, get the “perfect job”, have children and continue to search our hearts for our true self.
As far back as I can remember, there was always a sequestered part of my heart and soul, searching and trying to excavate a part of me, that longed to be exposed.
It wasn’t until many years later that I recognized it was the “Me” part of me, the very deepest, self-loving, self-forgiving, non- judgmental part of me I could find. Even today it’s a daily remembering that keeps me focused on authenticity.
With all its ugly parts, impatience, judgement and criticism , to it’s truly beautiful unique qualities of love, compassion, kindness and joy, I have found that authenticity is shades of emotions and your acceptance of them. It has been mastery over self, not others.
To live a truly authentic life you must accept all aspects of yourself without judgement. For me it’s taken 6 decades to accept all my gifts and flaws equally. I love them both….they have made me uniquely who I came here to be. Walk the path I walk, with the people I need most in life to allow me to see who I AM at the deepest level.
Through this journey I have found there’re many things that help one live an authentic life:
- There is nothing wrong with taking care of your health and heart first and foremost before anyone else.
- Being vulnerable is necessary. It is the birthplace of joy, creativity,belonging and love.
- Being the first one to say “I’m sorry, I was wrong”.
- It’s not about what you say, it’s about what they perceive. Never be afraid to acknowledge that you might have had the right intention, but it wasn’t brought forth with true understanding.
- You don’t settle for “just anything” , you know you deserve whatever you want , without guilt or shame.
- You help others without expecting anything in return. You know it always comes back around.
- Acceptance of what IS. You can’t change what is, you can only accept the NOW. The only moment you have is NOW
- You acknowledge when you feel the urge to be less than “authentic”! You just want what you want , when you want it!! You are a loving child at heart!
There are many wonderful books that talk about creating an authentic life, one of my all time favorites is “Something More- Excavating Your Authentic Self , by: Sarah Ban Breathnach. Check it out on Amazon
I would love to hear your comments on authenticity and how it affects how you live your life, comment below or connect with me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Written By:Alice Wilcox
September 5, 2016
Sources: photo credit: daniellelaporte.com