How To Have Great Curly Hair Anytime
Embrace What’s Natural
Sometimes what we want and what we have are two very different things. Having hair that looks great and reflects who you are is easy to achieve if you “embrace what’s natural” for your hair. So many of us want to wrestle our hair to the bitter end to make it do what we want it to do even if it goes against its natural growth patterns. That’s like trying to “keep ice cream frozen in the desert!”
Summertime gives us a chance to change things up and experiment with our natural curls, waves and texture. Right now we’re seeing a movement for women to “rock their ringlets and curls. The beauty industry has answered our prayers with a multitude of products that can tame, boost, enhance and nourish any type of curl or wave you can imagine. From ringlets to waves, there is a product for any type of curl.
All of us with curly hair (including myself ) love the ease of not having to de-frizz and “style” our hair in the summer by blow drying with a brush in hot humid weather. We’re always looking for a shortcut , from shampooing and conditioning to styling our amazing locks!
As a hair stylist I have experimented with a few options to make my mornings easier and help me educate my clients in the most up to date techniques to make the most of their curly hair.
Here are a few tips you can choose from depending on how much time you have in the morning and how much effort you feel like putting into your hair when you’re on the run:
Sometimes long curly hair can be knotty & matted, try changing it up in the shower. Instead of washing first, use your conditioner to detangle the hair first, leave it on for 3-5 minutes before you shampoo.
It makes life so much easier. Use a light “leave in conditioner like 7 Seconds by Unite or Bumble & Bumble’s Hairdressers Invisible Oil Primer after showering if you feel your hair needs extra hydration.
Like other activities, combining things together saves time! Co-Washing has become a buzz for curly hair girls. Try combining your shampoo and conditioner together over throughly soaked hair, lather, then rinse, this saves time and your curls look amazing. Because oils eventually build up on the scalp, you will need to shampoo the hair with shampoo alone every 2-3 days.
New to hit the market is L’Oreal Professionnel NEW Cleansing Conditioners, the perfect addition to anyone’s cleansing routine( curly hair or not)! Here are the Top 5 Reasons why you might love a Cleansing Conditioner:
- 2 benefits in one, but not a 2 -in-1. It’s neither a shampoo nor conditioner and gently cleanses without harsh sulfates and detergents.
- Cleanses without stripping the natural oils. The product lightly conditions once applied and then enters s soft cleansing phase to gently remove impurities.
- Perfect for color- treated , very damaged and dehydrated hair types. Preserving the natural oils, it helps maintain hydration and reduces the stripping of color on the hair.
- But other hair types can benefit too. Gentle cleansing every so often can help maintain healthier looking strands regardless of your hair type.
- Enjoy guilt- free washing. Americans shampoo their hair 4-5 times a week, twice as much as other parts of the world. According to dermatologists , shampooing so often is unnecessary . Incorporating Cleansing Conditioners can help preserve shine, hydration and softness.
Ultimate In Lazy:
You have a few options here depending on your type of curl. Dry shampoos are great for quick, out the door styling. Some of my favorites are; Pureology Fresh Approach , Unite 7 Seconds Refresher and Kenra Platinum Dry Shampoo.
If your hair is wavy and you need to give it a little “punch” in the morning, simply use a curl enhancing spray like Bumble & Bumble’s Curl Conscious Restyle Primer in the morning. Simply mist your hair lightly and diffuse for a few minutes to rejuvenate your style. Or for longer wavy hair, braid your hair in a few braids , mist lightly and by the time you get to where you’re going , take them out and you’ll have a refreshed beautiful wave!
Depending on the length and thickness of the hair it can take a lot of time in the morning . There are a few keys things you can do to speed things up. Make sure you use a “micro-fiber towel to remove excess water, use your favorite styling product for your specific curl type and diffuse on MEDIUM heat and airflow. Using a hot heat and high-speed setting will frizz your hair and disrupt the natural curl pattern.
Apply styling products and diffuse for 3-5 minutes to set the initial wave pattern in place with heat, the heat will give the wave/curl more definition. Once the hair is halfway dry, let the rest air dry.
When diffusing wavy/curly hair it depends on the natural curl pattern where you spend your time with the diffuser. For looser curls, you need to work on the ends and scrunch towards the roots, for kinky hair you need to focus on the roots and lift away from the root a bit.
Ultimate In Lazy:
What else is there but “air”…. air drying is a girls best friend. Product is a must in this case. “Bumble& Bumble’s Don’t Blow It”, is a great product for the girl on the go, apply product and periodically scrunch to encourage curl and fullness as it drys. Another option is to twist damp hair into ” Bantu knots” ( small buns) before you go to bed.
Tame tight, course curls:
Take small sections and “twirl” hair along the length of the hair, depending on the thickness of your hair you can have anywhere from 15-20 sections. Diffuse on medium heat and medium speed or let air dry. The finished look will be a more defined curl/ wave.
Pin “spirals” on top of your head at night while you sleep. This will define and refine the natural curl pattern. If you need to touch up any loose ends or weak curls in the morning, use a curling rod matching your natural pattern to blend the wave.
Loose waves need definition , use your flatiron to define the “bends” along the length of the hair. Start at the root, rotate the flatiron out and away from the head, move an inch down and rotate in the opposite direction, continue to alternate this pattern the length of the hair. The wave will be more defined and polished.
Here’s My “Love List” Of Products For Curly Hair
Smoothing Serums/ Cremes :
- Pai Shau Biphasic Infusion
- L’Oreal 10 in 1 Spray
- Bumble & Bumble Hairdressers Invisible Oil
- L’Oreal Mythic Oils
- Bumble & Bumble Straight
- L’Oreal Liss Ultimate Dual Serum
- Keune Care Line Ultimate Shine Repair
- L’Oreal Pro Keratin Creme
- Keratin Complex Infusion Leave In
- Bumble & Bumble Curl Conscious Foam
- Bumble & Bumble Curl Conscious Restyle Primer
- Deva Curl Defining Gel
- Unite “Boing”
- Kevin Murphy Killer Curls Anti- Frizz Curl Defining Creme
- Lakme’ k. style Rings Style Control
- Bumble & Bumble Anti- Humidity Gel
Shampoos / Conditioners /Masks:
- L’Oreal Liss Ultimate- Shampoo/ Conditioner
- Bumble & Bumble Curl Conscious- Shampoo/ Conditioner
- L’Oreal Pro Keratin -Shampoo / Conditoner
- Pai Shau- Cleanser / Conditioner/ Hydrating Mask
- Coppola Keratin Complex -/Shampoo/ Conditioner Mask
- Pai Shau- Shampoo/ Conditioner/ Hydrating Mask
- NEW L’Oreal Professionnel Cleansing Conditioners
Please Like, Share, and comment below.
If you found this information valuable feel free to connect with me at:
Written by : Alice Wilcox
June 6, 2016
Reference source Allure magazine June 2016
Launch Pad – April 2016